Learning about light waves is a big part of the 1st grade Next Gen Science Standards. This 3 week mini-unit give students hands on activities, STEM challenges and literacy connections to help them understand the big idea, "Light is useful."
See this unit in action including all of the resources used for this unit on the blog!
This is part of a 20% OFF NEXT GEN BUNDLE
that includes these units:
Sun Moon and Stars
Organisms (coming soon)
Some of these activities are included in my Integrated Unit on Weather. However, there are many, many other light activities included in this unit besides the few from the Weather unit. If you own the Weather unit and would like to know specific differences, feel free to email me at email@example.com! :)
Included in this packet:
• unit outline with the big idea and essential question for each week
• weekly detailed lesson plans
• 14 objective cards plus a blank objective card
• 4 writing prompts
• 15 vocab cards with matching definition cards
• light vocab word find
• light vocab crossword puzzle
• light station recording sheet (1 version plus a blank template)
• describing light slideshow and activity
• then and now slideshow book and student BW paper booklet
• natural and unnatural sources of light sort
• STEM connection: pinhole boxes, catch a rainbow
• 4 science lab recording sheets
• vocabulary word wall cards and definitions to use for matching word and definitions or find your partner games
• Anchor Chart Templates in full color and BW: Lights we see, sources of light, describing light, I know about light, Light can...
Here are links to all 6 of my Common Core units plus a year long PACING GUIDE for first grade!
a Bundle of Year Long Science and Social Studies
Copyright Whitney Shaddock, 2017, licensed for one classroom use only. Please use the multiple licensing option for more than one classroom use!
Follow My TPT Store
| Follow My Blog