This Light and Sound Inquiry Pack is a detailed Science Inquiry. There are explicit notes for each section and many activity sheets to choose from to record learning.
This pack includes
- The Big So What?
- Key Understandings
- Skill Development
- Inquiry Questions
Engage – Define Light and Sound
- Complete a KWHL to record what they know, what they would like to know – glue in STEAM Book. There is a page per heading and the W is for their Wonderings. This is to be added to as they progress through the unit
- There is a cover for your unit if you choose to use it. Students can color and use a heading page in their notebooks.Share the rubric for learning and glue into STEAM Book for revisiting throughout the unit
- Define light and sound
- Share the photos of light and sound and have students attempt to describe them
- Complete the Word Wall. Add words and phrases to use in writing and increase vocabulary for speaking and listening experiences
- Complete individual A-Z Key glue into STEAM Book
- Options – I see, I think, I wonder
- Create spelling word lists related to the theme and glue into Word Study Book
- Use technology to research light and sound in Reading Group time – share/show how to research, using keyword search ie light and sound facts for kids
Explore – Light and Sound Surprises
- Sorting Task – use the graphics to paste into your Steam Book (or class chart) and then through research and class discussion decide where each item goes. Large size for display or class sorts and the smaller versions are for use in STEAM Book.
- Extended brainstorming activity on Light and Sound
- = make a list of anything to do with habitats. Words can be written on strips of paper so that they can be grouped for Step 2
- = look at the first word and make a heading for it. The heading could be Light or Sound or more specific subheadings like sound waves, instruments, natural light, man made light…
- All the words that fit get placed within each heading. Progress through the list until all items are under a heading
- = look at your groups of words, are you happy with them, do you need to move any of them?
- = in your group of 4 you now need to split and discuss with a new pair your group’s list, choices and headings
- = record in your STEAM Book a reflection on this activity
- Teacher to take photos of completed lists to help place in STEAM Book for when the students are evaluating how they worked
Explain – Same or Different
- Whole class discussion about the ideas/issues/concerns/knowledge generated from the Engage section
- Revisit their Wonderings from the KWHL and check in if there have been some answers
- Share the ”What is Sound?’ And “What is Light?’ Posters
- Sit quietly in your classroom and record what you hear. Make a list of sources of light you see. There are pages for the recording what you find in your classroom
- Do the above again for what sounds you can hear
- Share the fact cards about light and sound, then add them to your display
Elaborate – Light and Sound Detectives
- Our five senses are…?
- Collecting a list of what we see
- What light sources are around us?
- Seeing colours/colors
- Light sources – natural and artificial
- Collect a list of what we hear
- Making Music
- The sounds we hear around us – classify into soft, loud, short, long
- Use the Venn Diagrams to compare types of sound and light
- Use the Question Matrix to develop questions around sound and light
Evaluate and Celebrate – Designing an exhibit to show learning
- Design your own communication tool
- My design for a musical instrument
- Design your own sound poster
- Design your own light poster
- What I now know about light
- What I now know about sound
- My reflection and self assessment
COPYRIGHT ©Paula’s Place
This product is for personal use in one classroom only. To share or use in multiple classrooms, please purchase additional licenses. This product may not be shared or distributed without consent from the author.
Be the first to know about our discounts, sales, free resources and new products: Look for the green star at the top of my store to ★Follow Me★
Don’t forget to get TPT credit to use on your future purchases:
We value your feedback. It helps us to make resources that meet your needs.
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login).
Beside each purchase you’ll see a Provide Feedback button.
Simply click and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for our product.