Before buying this product, consider buying it as a bundle with other science units by following this link:
Grade 4 Science Units Bundled
Ontario Curriculum Expectations: Grade 4 Science - Understanding Matter and Energy
1. assess the impact on society and the environment of technological innovations related to light and sound.
2. investigate the characteristics and properties of light and sound.
3. demonstrate an understanding of light and sound as forms of energy that have specific characteristics and properties.
1. What is Energy?
2. What is Light?
3. Properties of Light
4. Sources of Light
5. What is Sound?
6. Properties of Sound
7. Sources of Sound
8. Light, Sound & The Environment
1. How Does Light Reflect Off of Different Surfaces?
2. What Materials Can Block the Path of Light?
3. Which Colours Absorb Light More Effectively?
4. Absorbing and Reflecting Sound
5. Modifying Sound
6. Travelling Vibrations
What is in the unit?
In this unit you will find:
1. Information articles on the topics listed above.
2. Worksheets that review the information in the articles.
3. Glossary of terms
5. One project - Creating and Building a Light or Sound Device
- Research (Language Arts)
- Report Writing (Language Arts)
- Model Building (Visual Arts)
6. Final Test
7. Answer Keys
8. Project Rubric & Guide
1. Worksheets can be used as ongoing homework checks or collected and used as formative assessments.
2. Experiments Observation Sheets
3. Project rubric
4. Final Test - Matching, True or False, Multiple Choice, and Short Answer
How to use the unit
The unit is meant to be used as a student handout with the articles, worksheets, experiments, project description, and rubric to be photocopied for each student. Read through the articles together as a class and have students answer the corresponding worksheet questions. (Each article and worksheet questions should take around one 40 minute period). Take up the worksheet on the following day before starting the next article.
The experiments can be completed by the teacher or the students in groups.
The project is meant to be completed in class under the supervision of the teacher. Students can work independently or in groups/pairs.
The test is to be given as a final summative assessment for the unit to evaluate what students have learned overall.
Other Related Units:
Rocks & Minerals
Habitats and Communities
Pulleys and Gears
Matter, Forces, Human Body, and Energy Conservation Bundle
Properties of and Changes in Matter
Conservation of Energy and Resources
Forces Acting on Structures and Mechanisms
Human Organ Systems
Biodiversity, Electricity, Space, and Flight Bundle
Electricity and Energy
Air and Flight
** Remember ** You can earn Tpt Credits and save money on future purchases by returning to my store to rate this product! Furthermore, your rating and feedback will help me to continue to create products that suit yours and other teachers’ needs.