Need a St. Patrick's Day activity or want to make your poetry unit more fun? Limericks are sure to please students of all levels. This product includes a background PowerPoint, writing template, and rubric to make limericks a memorable activity.
1. The 24-slide background PowerPoint includes:
- Information about limericks in the context of the Victorian era, as child labor laws lead to the creation of more literature for children
- Information about Edward Lear, the first famous writer of limericks
- Several examples of Lear's cartoons and limericks
- Several examples of parody limericks
2. The optional writing template reminds students of the rhyme scheme and can keep the assignments more uniform if you prefer.
3. The detailed rubric gives students clear instructions for writing and illustrating two limericks. (Criteria for rhyme, rhythm, humor, and format are included.)
Your students' projects will surprise you and get the class laughing, so build in some time to share!