This is a great Algebra 1 or 2 project. Students have to research the housing market and use the concepts of slope, linear regression, and plotting points on a coordinate plane in a real world setting to analyze 20 homes. I've done this project many times and the students love the connection between abstract calculations and the real-world application.
Students work individually (though you can have them work in pairs), used the internet for researching the housing market, and practiced creating their table using Microsoft Word. Students are expected to turn in their results on a poster board or create a PowerPoint presentation. This is a weeklong project.
Prior to beginning the activity, students should have at least a basic understanding of calculating slope, writing equations in slope-intercept form, finding averages, and problem-solving.
Included in this unit:
1. Prior Knowledge 5 problem worksheet
2. Lesson objectives, task, and student directions
3. Eleven discussion questions
5. Grading Rubric (you can have students grade each other's work)
6. Projections extension sheet where students have to find an article in a newspaper or other reputable source that discusses today's housing market. They must then answer five questions in a one-page essay (what did they find interesting; what do they think will happen to the housing market in the future; what's their dream home look like; how much do they think it'll cost; and how much do they think they'll have to earn annually to be able to afford that house)
You'll have them thinking and learning without complaints!
Check out other great ideas:
Earth Day Math for grades 6-12: Conversions, Graphs, and more!
M&M Probability Web Project for High School Students
Mother's Day Math: Solving Equations; Finding Surface Area and Volume
Parallelograms Properties Fairy Tale
Ratio, Proportions, Conversions and Unit Price Unit
Pythagorean Theorem for Middle and High School
Symmetry Project: Reflection, Rotation, & Translation
Teach Inverse, Converse, & Contrapositive Kinesthetically
Unit Circle Project
Circumference, Area, and Equations of Circles Worksheets
Mean, Median, Mode, Range Practice Worksheet