A set of fun and educational activities based on this simple poem which introduces young children to the ethics of keeping animals in zoos. These activities / worksheets are suitable for use with young children and EAL learners.
The pack consists of
1. The text of the poem.
2. Cloze Test. A simple prose summary of the poem in "fill in the blanks" format. There is a word bank to assist students.
3. Low-order questions. Information gathering - designed to promote better understanding. Students are asked to support their answers using quotations or reference.
4. Find the Word. This is a vocabulary exercise based on words in the poem.
5. Creative Assignments. These higher order tasks offer students the opportunity to be creative, and to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the poem. Students are asked to imagine themselves in different scenarios or as different personae. They are then asked to write a diary entry, a dialogue, interview questions, a newspaper article, and a speech.
6. Fun crossword using words from the poem - 19 clues in total. This is also available as a standalone product.
7. Word Search based on vocabulary from the poem.
This is an 10 page Word document.
Solutions to the lower order tasks (cloze test, crossword and word search) are included.