This Matter Unit contains matter word wall vocabulary words, posters describing concepts, a variety of hands on science experiments, homework assignments, games, partner activities, formative and summative assessment methods including an end of unit-show what you know brochure in replacement of an traditional end of unit test. All activities include directions and all of the graphic organizers needed. Answer keys are included.
The goals of this unit are for students to gain a deeper understanding of:
-The physical states of the three types of matter.
-The differences between liquids, solids, and gases.
-Chemical and physical changes of matter.
1. Matter vocabulary word wall words
2. Matter vocabulary matching game
3. Physical states of matter poster
4. The molecules dance brain break
5. Solids, liquids, and gases sorting activity
6. Work with a partner to list as many liquids as you can…
7. Liquids descriptive writing activity (includes planning page and writing paper).
8. Solids vs. liquids venn diagram
9. Work with a partner to list as many gases as you can…
10. Where are gases found matching worksheet.
11. Solids vs. gas venn diagram
12. Gases fact foldable
13. Create you own liquid, solid, or gas riddle
14. Liquid vs. gas venn diagram
15. Solids, liquids, and gases in our homes homework assignment
16. Phase changes in states of matter poster
17. Physical vs. Chemical changes poster
18. Chemical vs. Physical changes cutting and pasting activity
19. Water as a liquid, solid, and gas hands on experiment (includes: directions, predictions/what happened graphic organizer
20. Root beer float hands on experiment (includes: directions, graphic organizer, and label the diagram page).
21. Cream to butter hands on experiment (includes: directions and graphic organizer).
22. Egg-xcellent hands on experiment- in class and homework assignment (includes: directions, in class graphic organizer, letter to parents, homework graphic organizer).
23. Mini volcanoes hands on experiment (includes: directions and graphic organizer).
24. End of unit assessment- Show what you know about matter brochure
25. What do you know about matter?… People Bingo game
26. Answer Keys