I created this organizer to be used as a form of semantic mapping. It helps students organize and categorize vocabulary and concepts.
There are a few steps to using this organizer effectively.
1. After reading a teacher-selected text, the teacher selects a
topic or concept to work with.
2. Students then brainstorm and list all the words they can think of
that relate to the topic or concept.
3. Students then group the words into categories based on some
sort of "rule" or similarity.
4. Students then come up with a label for each group.
5. Once the organizer is complete, students should be prompted
to go back to their words and groups and add/adjust if
As a BONUS activity, students are prompted to choose a category and write a paragraph on the back of the paper using all of the words that were placed in that category.
An inexpensive collection of 7 different reading strategy organizers can be found in the following product: Reading Strategy Graphic Organizers
This pack includes the following organizers:
-- Anticipation Guide
-- Inquiry Chart
-- Double Entry Journal
-- List Group Label
-- Concept Map