Engaging short activities to practice literary analysis in brief and timely activities for any story. Includes Lit Bits Paragraphs, Task Cards, and Illustrated Response sheets. Several options for scaffolded support and classroom needs. Use for guided practice, focused literary analysis, to build a larger essay, exit tickets or other immediate feedback.
Each of these literary tasks is intended to be a focused paragraph. In each paragraph, students will need to follow effective paragraph writing structure, as well as include specific textual reference and analysis. By aiming the activity on just one thing—story element or literary device—students focus their practice on one element, allowing them to strengthen their skill with less distraction of the ‘big picture’.
These short activities can be used in many ways. Since they are short, they can fit into 10-15 minute time slots. They can be used as exit activities or guided practice. In a flipped classroom, students can read in class, then finish their bite sized analysis at home, for quick review the next day. They can be used as end-of chapter writings, including reflection or prediction writing tasks at key parts of a text. Illustrated sheets can also make nice decorations in the class or hall.
• Using Lit Bits Mini Literary Analysis: Types of Lit Bits and Lit Bit Activity Ideas
• Lit Bits Visual Analysis (Graphic Organizer)
• Lit Bits Topic Picker (List of 18 Literary Analysis topic prompts)
• Lit Bits Model: Open ended Model, plus one for each of the 18 Lit Bits Topics.
• Lit Bits: Decorate Paragraphs: Setting and Character decorations for display
• Lit Bits: Illustrated Paragraphs: Students add illustrations to accompany the analysis
• Lit Bits Rubrics: Literary Analysis; Literary Analysis and Paragraph Development; Illustrated Paragraph
• Quick Guide to Literary Analysis
This item is a single-file PDF.
Like this? Check these out:
Literary Essay Writing for Any Text, Differentiate for Writers of All Levels
Song Lyric Literary Analysis
Tweet the Text, Analysis Activity for Any Text