This Literature Circle packet contains everything you need to run a low-prep three or four week lit circle in your fourth or fifth grade classroom!
Unlike traditional lit circles, there are no lit circle roles assigned when using this packet. Each student participates by contributing to the discussion, much like a book club.
You can use this same packet multiple times for any novel study or book club. All you need to do is print, photocopy, and assemble the pages into a Lit Circle Journal for each student.
Each week students will be responsible for preparing for their lit circle meeting by reading the assigned chapters, choosing three words to define, writing a short summary, completing a reading response, and coming up with two "skinny" questions and two "fat" questions. They will earn five marks for preparation and five marks for participation during their lit circle meeting.
This Lit Circle packet includes:
• suggestions for use
• lit circle class assessment record sheet
• "Book Tasting" instructions and template
• Bookmarks on which students can list their top three book choices
• 4 options for Lit Circle Journal cover pages (for groups of 4-6 students)
• 2 options for Lit Circle student instructions (for three or four week lit circles)
• reader's response prompts
• dictionary definition template
• summary / reader's response / skinny questions / fat questions template OR summary / MII (most important incident), reader's response / fat questions template
You can choose to run your lit circle for either three or four weeks. Templates that are specifically for one or the other are labelled "3-Week Lit Circle" or "4-Week Lit Circle".
See this Lit Circle Packet in action on my blog!
Want to try a free sample before you buy?!
If you have any issues printing, please select "fit" rather than "actual size" as every printer has slightly different settings.
Click the star at the top to receive notifications about new products and freebies!
Check out my blog for teaching tips!
Like my Facebook page for product giveaways!
Follow me on Pinterest for classroom ideas!
Questions and feedback are always welcome. Please use the “Ask a Question” tab, and I will get back to you as fast as I can! Please ask all questions before purchasing.
This product is licensed for personal home or classroom use unless multiple licenses are purchased.
© Nicole Chatz, Primary Teaching Resources