If you and your students aren't familiar with the story of why Abraham Lincoln grew a beard, you'll want to get Steve Metzger's picture book: Lincoln and Grace. If your students are like mine, they'll be amazed at the effect one young girl's efforts can have on history. It's empowering for the kids.
Because the response sheets are open-ended, they are age-appropriate for grades 1-3. This download includes literacy activities to enhance the discussion and comprehension after reading the story. It includes:
• a graphic organizer for asking and answering important questions
• a response sheet to think through cause-and-effect
• a character map for Grace, the main character
• an "is-can-has" tree for Mr. Lincoln
• a fun sheet where children get to "Be the Teacher"
It's a great supplement to your plans for President's Day, or for a reading unit of study on biographies or strong characters.
If you need additional items for President's Day, try these NO PREP flip books for your students:
Flipping Over the Presidents: Informational Flip Books for K-2
Thank you for your interest in this item. Happy teaching! :)