is a LOW-PREP and HANDS-ON learning activity that will surely be a unique & engaging addition to your classroom ELA centers! This sight word activity has been carefully & purposefully designed to be easy to use & accessible to a wide variety of learners with 3 DIFFERENTIATED recording worksheets included!
This product includes so that this literacy center can be used over & over again as students progress by simply swapping out the word cards & recording worksheets for the next set of 10. Cards are numbered in the upper left corner; numbers on cards correspond with the numbers on the worksheets. In the lower right corner, each card in this set is marked with a black circle; other sets of FRY secret message cards are marked with a different shape to make it easier to keep cards organized.
ATTENTION - READ THIS! You will find this information repeated in several places in this product description. This activity MUST be printed in color to work properly. You will also need to make or buy some type of RED-FILTER decoder; a template & directions for making a decoder from Dollar Store materials is included. I've also included information on other decoder options, including how to use an iPad or iPhone as a decoder!
HOW'S IT WORK?
Each secret message card has one sight word from FRY's first 100 words printed in pale blue surrounded by a sea of random red letters. When a RED-FILTER decoder is placed on top of the card, the hidden sight word is revealed.
1. Can't the kids see the blue word without the decoder?
- Not necessarily. MOST of the 4-7 year old children that I've tested this product with over the past 2 years CANNOT easily read the hidden words without the decoder. TI have had a few students that enjoyed the challenge of figuring out the secret behind this activity & eventually could figure the word out without the decoder, although it took them a considerable amount of effort to read the word through all of the red letters surrounding it. Many ADULTS can read the words without the decoder making it easy for the teacher to check answers and sort the cards.
2. Do I have to print in color?
- YES! This activity be printed in color to work properly. Unfortunately, there isn't any way around this or a way to save ink.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
- For a stationary table activity, set out 10 Sight Word Secret Message Word along with desired recording worksheet .
- For a Write the Room type activity, place 10 Sight Word Secret Message cards around the room (i.e. on walls, doors, shelves etc.) Provide students with corresponding recording worksheet and RED filter decoder.
- Choose/Find a card and read the word revealed by the decoder
- Then write/trace the word in the corresponding place on their worksheet.
- Use answer keys to check and correct their work.
76 Page PDF file
- 100 Secret Message Sight Word Cards - FRY's FIRST 100 Sight Words
- 30 Recording Worksheets - 3 DIFFERENTIATED versions
- 2 BLANK Recoding Worksheets - for creating your own word sets using cards of your choosing.
- Directions for MAKING a RED-FILTER Decoder using Dollar Store materials
- Directions for other RED-FILTER Decoder options including how to set up an iPad or iPhone as a Decoder and Red Gel or Red Water Decoders.
- Information about RED-FILTER Decoder options that can be PURCHASED
- Answer Keys
RED transparent plastic (Available from a Dollar Store or Craft Store)
Secret Decoder Template
- Print,Cut, Glue, Trim - most time consuming part of prep, but only needs to be done one time.
- : Print, Cut & Laminate
- Print & Go
TARGET SKILLS: Sight Word Recognition, Early Reading Skills, Handwriting Practice
COMMON CORE ALIGNMENT:
RF.K.3c, RF.1.3g, RF.2.3f