Literacy Gems... With A Sprinkle of Math
This is a packet that is filled with word work that can be used over the course of an entire year for your primary learners. It covers a wide range of skills that students need to master during their kindergarten year, using glass letter gems. They feel magical to young learners and directions are given for making these. In addition, two sets of math cards have been included as an extra bonus. Response sheets for each set of skills are also available in this packet. They can be used to hold students accountable for the work they do or as additional practice for homework. I like to use them as part of my summative assessments for each trimester. These activities are ideal for partner work which helps our students to build their understandings in a collaborative way.
So this is what I have included in this packet:
1.Directions for making and organizing letter and number gems
2. Other options if you do not want to make gems but want your students to use these engaging cards.
3.Capital and Lowercase Letter Cards
4. Beginning, Medial, and Final Sound Cards
5. CVC Cards: Students build words based on the picture provided
6. Sight Word Cards (Dolch Word List)
7.CVCe Cards: "magic e" pattern
8.Sentence Building Cards: Gems must be ordered to build a sentence in order.
9. Student Response Sheets: I have provided 28 pages of worksheets that connect directly to the cards students have been using to practice a variety of word work skills
10. Additional Gems: These can be used for various activities if needed as an additional resource.
Two sets of math cards have been included with related response sheets. Students use ten frames for counting and work with tally marks.