For grades 2 through 12. Literacy Mats is an innovative and easy-to-implement teaching tool for educators and parents, and an engaging learning tool for students from grade 2 through 12 and beyond that focuses on developing the language arts (reading, writing, conversation, and presentation) as key skills to lifelong learning.
The focus of Literacy Mats is “reading to learn.”
So how is Literacy Mats different from other reading and language arts learning tools and how is lifelong learning achieved?
1. Literacy Mats is a shared learning experience that puts in the hands of teachers, parents and students the tools to “learn to learn” through the four pillars of literacy for lifelong learning:
• Conversation to build and shape understanding
• Reading to make meaning
• Writing to convey ideas
• Presentation to inform, educate, and entertain
2. Developed as a supplemental learning tool to any literacy program, Literacy Mats builds continuity of learning and delivers core language arts academic standards in a way that appeals to all learning styles. Literacy Mats makes learning enjoyable by combining activities and techniques that address different modes of learning:
• Visual (Spatial)
• Logical (Patterns and Mathematical)
• Verbal (Linguistic)
• Auditory (Auditory-Musical-Rhythmic)
• Physical (Bodily-Kinesthetic)
• Social (Interpersonal)
• Solitary (Intrapersonal)
3. Brian Kissman developed Literacy Mats as a single edition intended for all grade levels and beyond. Written at an upper elementary reading level, Literacy Mats is a tool to be used recursively year after year beginning in second or third grade. As we grow and mature, the book’s prompts, questions, graphic organizers, and rubrics take on a deeper meaning.
A question such as “What do you think about the character’s desires and struggles?” works with a simple chapter book at an elementary level and with literature at the high school or university level. Making meaning matches the level of reading. Each student has a copy of Literacy Mats in class and at home.
4. Literacy Mats is designed to be used as:
• A supplemental learning tool for general students
• A supplemental learning tool for gifted students
• A supplemental learning tool for special needs students
5. Literacy Mats is an interdisciplinary learning tool. Students gain continuity of learning through the lens of literacy not only across grade levels for language arts, but also across content areas such as social studies and science.
With Literacy Mats, over time, the fundamentals of literacy gain depth and become a habit of mind.
To order hardcopies of Literacy Mats, visit learnonpoint.com!