This Private Eye CSI Literacy Mystery will require your students to read the text carefully, make inferences, collect evidence, and unlock clues to solve the Case of the Masked Menace. NO PREP required, print and go!
Everything that you need for this activity is in the download; all you need is paper to print and pencils to write!
- Making Inferences
- Main Idea
- Drawing Conclusions
- Analyzing Text for Clues
- Critical Thinking
In this packet you will receive:
- Teacher instructions
- The introduction page to set the stage
- Case File Templates: Suspect page, evidence page, detective note page.
table format is given in a separate file, which you may prefer to use instead of the original suspect/evidence pages.
- Reading and activity worksheets: most worksheets will involve reading and answering comprehension questions. Two worksheets will be a crack the code style with vocabulary work - Synonyms and Antonyms.
(There are seven pages for the investigation in total)
- Solution declaration page (students will be required to write or choose clues to convict a suspect! Two options provided for this section.)
- Answer sheets and solution guide
- Printable awards to give to students who solve the case correctly!
Use as an independent, pairs, or small group task. Make it a part of your ELA sessions, add to your early finisher tasks, keep handy for a sub, or give as a homework assignment.
This style of mystery is different from my Reading 'Once Upon a Crime' and Math Mystery ranges. In these 'Private Eye CSI' Literacy Mysteries students will be building suspect files and looking for clues in the text. Then they must use the information found to figure out who the Masked Menace is! They will also need to provide enough evidence to convict a suspect as being the culprit.
You may also be interested in these Literacy Mysteries:
Case of The Wacky Wand
Case of The Stolen Surfboard
Case of The Pilfered Pencils
Literacy Mystery: Case of the Critter Chaos
Literacy Mystery: Case of the Ruined Research