Be sure and click on the PREVIEW to see some of the exciting goodies in the packet not pictured in the thumbnails
My kiddos LOVE the story The Kissing Hand
by Audrey Penn. Little ones identify with the anxious feelings of Chester the raccoon, when he doesn’t want to go to school.
The warming kiss from his mom resonates in comfort for them as well.
With that in mind, I created this literacy packet
. I hope you enjoy it as much as I loved designing it.
The packet involves a ton of super-fun activities to help reinforce a variety of standards
and includes the following:
* A note home to parents to provide a family photograph for a special “We are loved” bulletin board
* 2 posters to help create the bulletin board.
* A tiny welcoming note for your students; place a Hershey Kiss inside the heart. (Quick, easy, & inexpensive gift that correlates with the story.)
* Graphing activities
* Parts of a book poster & worksheet
* Pocket Chart cards for: character, setting, events
* Literacy Graphic organizers
of the story worksheets & activities
* A who, what, where, when, why
* Venn diagrams
comparing 2 books, 2 characters, the child with Chester, & Chester’s school & their school. Includes several completed samples to share.
: “How many words can you make using the letters in raccoon?” Includes an answer key; “Rr is for raccoon and….” race; plus a Nocturnal Animal Memory Match game.
* A variety of worksheets
for various levels.
* Lots of creative & fun writing prompts
* Several class-made books
, with covers and inside pattern pages to make them.
* Nocturnal animal activities
, including an interesting facts sheet, a list of 34 nocturnal animals, classroom poster, with a matching “color me” one for students, plus several games.
* Sign Language activities
(The last page of the story, is a picture of Chester’s hand “signing” I love you.) Includes a poster and worksheet.
* “Skidamarink a-dink-a-doo I Love You”
song, poster & bookmarks
* "Retell the story" bookmarks
* “Color me” bookmarks
* "Comfort" discussion poster and matching class-made book
* “I had a great 1st day” slap bracelets
* 12 pocket chart cards
for reviewing the story as a whole group. These double as a fix the sentence
activity for older kiddos, as they practice grammar rules for fixing capitalization
and adding end punctuation
to the sentences.
* Feelings activities
* Raccoons “Are, Can, Have”
* 5 Craftivities
: A raccoon mask; a keepsake hand print fold out note; a “red, white & blue I love you” sign language heart, “A Tale About Me” raccoon, & a “Raccoon Tail” writing prompt.
This packet matches my other 3 Kissing Hand-Inspired packets: "Where's The Raccoon?"
, 2D Shapes
, & ABCs-123s
Buy the BUNDLE & save!
I’m Diane from Teach With Me. I hope your students enjoy these activities as much as mine did.
Wishing you a super-duper year.