This package provides a lesson on the parts of a paragraph, the difference between a thorough and superficial paragraph, and evaluating a good paragraph response on a standardized test.
The contents are:
- Thorough vs Superficial Paragraph Handout: provide to students in order to teach them the difference between the two
- Practice - Colour Code a Paragraph: students are given a paragraph that they must colour code to determine the parts of the paragraph
- Answer Key to Colour Code
- Graphic Organizers – Two Versions: this is to help students further visualize the parts of the paragraph. It assists with the next step for guided/independent practice in writing their own paragraph.
- Assessment with Rubric: Paragraph Questions: Questions that are similar to the Ontario standardized test questions for opinion paragraphs. Rubric is included for how to assess it. The rubric is also based on the evaluation guide on the standardized test.
- Literacy Sample Paragraphs (best answers) from the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test: Sample paragraphs will show students what to expect when working on the standardized test. There are also brief instructions for an activity you can do with them to follow-up after the lesson.