Constructed Response Questions & Rubrics,
with Graphic Organizers and Word Wall
Looking for more ways to incorporate writing and reading in your Biology classroom? Science Island is here to help! I have developed sets of Constructed Response Questions – what we used to call short answer or short answer essay questions – that are aligned to NGSS and CCSS for Literacy and are easily assessed with a clear, concise 3-point rubric. I have also included two other research-based literacy strategies that will contribute to the development of a deep foundation of factual knowledge and help students organize that knowledge in ways that facilitate application in their reading and writing in the science classroom.
NGSS: HS-LS1-5, HS-LS1-7, HS-LS2-4, HS-LS2-5
This Literacy Strategies product has four files:
1) Read This First: Includes a product overview, suggestions on using constructed response questions, graphic organizers, and a word wall in your classroom, image credits, and contact information.
2) 5 Constructed Response Questions aligned to NGSS High School Life Science Standards and CCSS in Reading and Writing for grades 9 & 10 with a Teacher’s Guide and 3-point Scoring Rubric for each question.
3) 5 Graphic Organizers to help your students make text connections before, during and after reading and understand facts and ideas in the context of a conceptual framework.
4) Word Wall cards of key terms, root words, prefixes and suffixes to improve academic vocabulary in reading, writing, and speaking.
Major Topics Covered:
• relationship between cellular respiration and photosynthesis
• key events of cellular respiration
• key events of photosynthesis
• role of cellular respiration and photosynthesis in the carbon cycle
Take a look at the PREVIEW
for more details.
Here are some of my other Literacy Strategies for Biology products:
Literacy Strategies for Biology: Cells and Organelles
Literacy Strategies for Biology: The Plasma Membrane
You might also like some of my other Cellular Respiration and Photosynthesis products:
Photosynthesis Review Qubes
Cellular Respiration Review Qubes
Cellular Respiration PowerPoint and Notes
Cellular Respiration Task Cards
Cellular Respiration Diagrams and Study Guide
Photosynthesis PowerPoint and Notes
Photosynthesis Task Cards
Photosynthesis Diagrams and Study Guide
Phobias Vocabulary Activity
Ologies Vocabulary Activity
Want more Graphic Organizers that you can customize for your students? Try these: