Literacy in Science.
A collection of 18 original, informative, light hearted, yet inspiring articles on various aspects of science namely Physics and Marine Biology.
Each text is written in an informal manor, describing in detail the science behind the title, followed by 3 – 4 questions from which the pupil has to dissect the answers from the text or formulate their own ideas.
Each article and set of questions is 2 sides of A4 in length.
1. A child of the Stars – where were you made?
2. Are we being watched – the difficulties of searching for alien life.
3. Bernadette the deadly yellow boxfish – she’s beautiful but evolution has packed a deadly punch, let Bernie tell you all.
4. Earthquakes and your fingernails – how do they happen and why are they like your fingernails?
5. Mass and Weight – what’s gravity got to do with it!
6. Nuclear Power part 1 – how we get electricity from the atom.
7. Nuclear Power part 2 – Time line of an explosion, and nuclear meltdown.
8. Red shift, The Doppler Effect and the Expanding Universe.
9. Samantha the red serpent star, let Sam describe her amazing biology to you.
10. SAR 11 – So just what is the most important life in the ocean?
11. Sir Isaac Newton, William Hershel and fluorescent corals – Ok just what have these in common.
12. So what is electricity – let your students ‘go with the flow’!
13. Sid the Sponge – Don’t take a bath with me, allow Sid to describe himself.
14. That old bar magnet called earth – magnets, solar wind and dead planets.
15. The Blue Dragon – this baby packs a real sting, but how?
16. The deadly wave called sound – sound is amazing and deadly.
17. The empty sea, a sad but true tale.
18. The immortal jellyfish – who wants to live forever, well this beast can!
Literacy in Science, 18 original light hearted scientific articles with questions.