Literary Analysis Essay: Build a "Case File" of Text Evidence for ANY Novel!
What educators are saying
Also included in
- My students spend a lot of time mastering the foundations of essay writing so they are well-prepared for upper grade levels, standardized tests, and college. Download ALL of my best essay-writing lessons and save yourself TONS of time with classroom-tested resources! This bundle includes ALL of myPrice $49.99Original Price $67.84Save $17.85
- NOW WITH GOOGLE DOCS: Take the fear and intimidation out of public speaking with a FULL SEMESTER bundle of classroom-tested speech activities that will safely get students out of their chairs (and their comfort zones!) Download this bundle of speaking resources to build up student confidence with prPrice $64.99Original Price $86.45Save $21.46
- Help your students grow as readers with a bundle of lessons, activities, tools, and projects that apply to any novel! Use them for independent reading OR assigned whole class books. If you're looking to refresh the ways your students respond to novels, you'll love the variety of resources in this buPrice $34.99Original Price $51.89Save $16.90
NOW INCLUDES GOOGLE: Are you looking for a new, engaging way to teach literary analysis? Call the claim/thesis a "conspiracy theory", and tell students that they have to "prove" it!
Ideal for students who are new or intermediate with lit analysis, this project makes students use inductive reasoning without realizing it. In this Common Core aligned project, student groups choose a question about the novel and come up with a "conspiracy theory" (thesis) to answer that question.
DURING reading, small groups gather text evidence from the novel (with sticky notes) and analyze it using a four step method:
• What does it SAY?
• What does it MEAN?
• Why does it MATTER?
• How does it prove your THESIS?
Once they have completed the novel and graphic organizer, students give presentations on their thesis and the evidence they collected to support it. The class actively listens by following along with their own listening guide to track who said what (and get repeated practice hearing what it's like to prove a thesis!). CCSS speaking standards are clearly assessed on the rubric.
Finally, you can assign the optional follow-up essay assignment to individually assess literary analysis skills.
(Results: I did this project with my class of 8th graders, and they LOVED it. They really took ownership of their "theory" and scoured the novel for evidence more thoroughly than I'd ever seen. After this project, students were ready to move on to write their own literary analysis essays using the text evidence and thesis statement produced in their case files.)
This 15-page, 10-slide download includes:
• A Teacher Guide that provides essential questions, I Can statements, CCSS standards for grades 6-8, a sample calendar of lessons, and tips for successful implementation of the group project.
• Directions sheet and rubric
• Thesis statement development/approval sheet
• Case File Planning Sheet (chart to collect and analyze text evidence while reading)
• Listening Guide for presentations
• A sample PowerPoint template to give students so they know how to format and organize all of their evidence! (Plus, it helps them transition the PPT into an essay later!)
• Literary Analysis Essay assignment (directions and rubric)
• NOW INCLUDES GOOGLE, Word, and PDF versions!
OPTIONAL Bonus Pages include:
• Nonfiction activity to research what conspiracy theories are
• Evaluating Evidence in a Theory mini-lesson
• Analyzing the Quality of an Essay's Claims mini-lesson (to answer the question "is this essay good?")
NOTE: This product is INCLUDED in my Essay Mega Bundle and in my Public Speaking Activity Bundle.
You might also like...
• During Reading: Chapter Study Guides: During Reading Activity for ANY novel!
• Independent Reading: "Book of the Month" system for Grades 6-8 or Grades 9-12
• Movie vs. Text Activity Bundle
Be the first to know about my new discounts, sales, and product launches:
�� FOLLOW Me: Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. You’ll receive email updates about this store to SAVE even more! ☺
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to log in). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. Your feedback is very important to me, and I take it very seriously! ☺
Questions? Requests for new products?
Ask me in the Q&A tab or email me directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect with Me