PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Looking for an engaging mini lesson to scaffold literary analysis? Try using picture books to help students focus on language and aesthetics. This resource contains two graphic organizers with scaffolded questions to use during mini lessons, small group discussions, and independent application.
WHO LITERARY ANALYSIS WITH PICTURE BOOKS IS FOR
This resource is intended for middle and high school teachers who are looking to...
1. engage students in mini lessons about an author's use of grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, figurative language, and aesthetics
2. bridge whole-class instruction with independent reading
3. supplement literature circle and book club units with common literary analysis lessons
LITERARY ANALYSIS WITH PICTURE BOOKS CONTENTS
This secured PDF resource contains...
1. two graphic organizers, one for any language element and one for aesthetics like use of color and font
2. a list of suggested picture books to use as mentor texts during picture book analysis lessons
3. a list of possible topics for students to analyze, including grammar, vocabulary, color and font formatting, and figurative language elements, as they research children's books
4. example responses you can use to model with students
WHY PICTURE BOOK ANALYSIS?
Picture books provide an entire story's worth of elements to analyze in a short amount of time. In just 10 minutes, students can gather enough information to study language, story elements, style choices, author's craft, and more. Literary analysis with picture books also provides a bank of common texts the whole class can refer back to and connect with all year long. Plus, it will help students value the connection between reading, writing, and language.
The following resources are similar approaches to literary analysis. If you like this literary analysis with picture books resource, you may also want to try...
Find more reading activities here!
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.