Foreshadowing and flashbacks are critical literary techniques that authors use to pull readers into the reality of the story and reveal its characters. These drama-heightening techniques are essential for students to understand as they develop their craft as readers. This 3-day mini-unit is designed to help students develop a deep understanding of both foreshadowing and flashbacks.
This 3-day Foreshadowing and Flashbacks Mini-Unit provides numerous opportunities to help students understand and analyze both literary devices. Each lesson starts with a fun and engaging activity – Nursery Rhymes Foreshadowing Foldable, Personal Flashbacks, and Foreshadowing vs. Flashback Sort. Then, students learn about and practice identifying the literary elements through whole group instruction, small group work, partnerships, and independent practice.
In this mini-unit, students will develop a deep understanding of chronological order, foreshadowing, and flashbacks. Students will complete guided notes, reading comprehension passages, graphic organizers and writing activities. This is a fun unit for students and teachers!
This detailed FORESHADOWING AND FLASHBACKS mini-unit includes:
• 3 Detailed Daily Lesson Plans
• Foreshadowing Shapes and Statements for Nursery Rhymes
• Altered Nursery Rhymes Activity
• Personal Flashbacks Activity
• Flashbacks vs. Foreshadowing Chart
• Flashbacks vs. Foreshadowing Sorting Activity
• Guided Notes on Foreshadowing
• 3 Short Reading Passages and Questions for Foreshadowing
• What Happens Next – Prediction Activity
• Guided Notes on Flashbacks
• 3 Reading Passages and Questions for Flashbacks
• Find the Flashback Activity
• Guided Notes on Chronological Order
• Long Reading Passage with both Foreshadowing and Flashbacks
• Reading Comprehension Questions
• Writing & Foreshadowing Activity
• Writing a Flashback Activity
• All keys for student work and instruction
This unit is also a part of a Literary Devices Bundle.
The bundle is filled with 6 fun mini-units to teach literary devices! You can check it out HERE.
You may also like…
• Reading Comprehension Skills – Mini-Units
- Context Clues, Inferences, Cause and Effect, Main Idea, Sequencing, and Predicting
• 20 Creative Reading Response Activities
• Myth Study and Writing Unit
- Includes both an integrated and stand-alone version of the unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the red “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Brain Waves Instruction