Common Core Aligned. This collection of resources is designed to help facilitate student understanding of the development of symbols and motifs within a text. PPT slides and lecture instruct a students with the knowledge of motifs vs. symbols in literature. Students then use the graphic organizer to track the development of motifs and symbols within the novel. Bloom's Taxonomy prompts provide a platform for students to interact with and evaluate the symbols and motifs relative to the plot and theme of the novel.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED SAVING OVER 50% ON LITERARY ANALYSIS RESOURCES, CHECK OUT THE SAVINGS IN THE BUNDLE BELOW
Link-LITERARY ELEMENTS BUNDLE
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN OTHER LITERATURE GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS, VISIT THE CUSTOM CATEGORY BELOW
Link-LITERATURE GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS
This Lesson Plan Includes:
1. Teacher Instructions
2. Student Handouts (6 pages)
3. Symbol Motif Student Notes
4. Graphic Organizers
5. 3 Analysis prompts
6. PPT Lecture (12 slides)
CCSS: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.9-10.7 CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.9-10.2 CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.9-10.5
1. How does one become an active reader?
2. What is the role of motifs and symbols in developing theme?
ACADEMIC OBJECTIVES (All Students Will Be Able To):
1. Understand the difference between motif and symbol
2. Chart the development of a symbol/motif within a novel
3. Complete Symbol/Motif Graphic Organizer
4. Analyze the use of symbols/motifs to develop a theme
DIRECT INSTRUCTION AND CLASSROOM ACTIVITIES:
Teacher uses PPT lecture to introduce motifs and symbols in literature
Teacher introduces the structure and purpose of symbols/motif graphic organizer
Use symbol/motif and organizers for evaluation of text for literature assessments.