Literary Elements Flashcards with Reading and Writing Activity! FREE! Make studying literary elements FUN in whole groups, partners, individually, or centers with meaningful, research based strategies! This is a free set of 8 Literary Elements Trading Cards with a fun story and writing assignment! Although the story takes place during Christmas time this activity would be great to use anytime of the year. I created these cards to be the same size and shape as the trading cards I always see my students using and they LOVE them.
English + Spanish (A Spanish Literary Elements version is now included for FREE)
This Literary Elements Set includes:
• 8 Literary Elements Flashcards with the literary element and a picture on the front and a definition on the back.
• The same 8 Literary Elements Flashcards with the words on them but blank spaces for students to draw their own pictures and room to write their own definitions.
• A template for a labeled box that students can cut out, write their name on and color to store their literary elements cards in.
• A reading passage with all of the literary elements in it.
• A blank writing template with instructions for students to write their own story using all of the elements.
• Trading Card Manual: 15 pages of tips and ideas on how to use these trading cards in your class.
• Spanish Literary Elements set now included for FREE to use with Spanish speaking or bilingual students
I prefer printing these flashcards double sided on card stock so they look and feel like real trading cards but they work just as well on regular paper.
Suggested Sequence For Using This Product:
1. Use the flashcards to teach literary elements.
2. Students read the story and identify the literary elements in it.
3. Students use the fun bordered paper to write a story of their own making sure to include all of the literary elements.
Common Core Standards addressed in the activity:
This activity was designed to cover as many Common Core Standards as possible that deal with reading and writing narratives. In 4th-6th grade the standards require students to identify literary elements in their reading as well as use them in their writing. This activity has students do both of these! Two standards that demonstrate this are CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.3 and CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.1
Here are some products you might also like:
Literary Genre Flashcards and Word Wall
Text Features Trading Cards and Bulletin Board
Common Core ELA Vocabulary Cards Pack
Check out my other ELA
Thanks for looking and be sure to check out the other fun vocabulary cards and games in
Literary Elements Flashcards
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License