Literary Essay focusing on Author's Craft Digital Notebook
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
State tests often ask to students to compare and contrast how texts show specific literary elements. This mini-unit encourages students to do just that!
Here is what they will accomplish in this notebook:
- Students will read two short stories, chosen by you (stories are not provided).
- They will then screenshot those stories into the notebook.
- A discussion of author's craft will occur, and students will highlight those stories with given highlighters (clipart). The highlights will zero in on author's techniques being shown in the texts.
- Topic sentences will created in which they write a claim focusing on a specific literary element of their choice (mood, conflict, character traits, or theme).
- They will go back to their highlights to notice which highlights were featured the most in their short story. These will become the focus on their topic sentences.
- Evidence is gathered and elaborations are made.
- The essay is written.
I've provided a sample essay that followed a memoir unit that I did my classes. You can read more about this essay in my blog post.
- Text Evidence: Writing about Reading Digital Interactive Slides
- Basic Essay Format for Comparing and Contrasting Multiple Sources & Sample Essay
- Literary Essay Writing: DIGITAL Interactive Notebook
- Topic Sentence Centers: Literary Essay (Paired Text) and Test Prep
- Research Digital Notebooks (Tapping the Power of Non-fiction, Essay, Group Book)
© Copyright 2022 M. Mariano. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to copy pages specifically designed for student or teacher use by the original purchaser or licensee. This is intended to be used by one teacher unless additional licenses have been purchased. The reproduction of any other part of this product is strictly prohibited.
*** HERE'S WHERE YOU CAN FIND ME! ***