A stimulating and challenging 6 week unit on literary fiction! Suitable for ages 12-16, this unit covers a range of literary fictions texts including 'Harry Potter' and 'A Christmas Carol', students' understanding of which is assessed both formally and informally. Creative writing is an additional focus, strengthening students' knowledge of key spelling, punctuation and grammar skills, and their ability to write engaging description.
* 16 lesson plans (with 16 differentiation strategies)
* 99 slide PowerPoint presentation
* All resources
* Copies of applicable extracts annotated in detail for teacher use
* Copies of mark schemes for mini exams
* Homework project
Unit's lessons include:
* Features of fiction and non-fiction; features of literary fiction
* Exploring how setting and tension are created - 'The Woman in Black'
* Exploring text structure - 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime'
* Analysing modern literary fiction - 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'
* Analysing Victorian literary fiction - 'A Christmas Carol'
* Analysing character development - 'Lamb to the Slaughter'
* Mini exams on the above texts
* Word classes and improving sentence structure
* Descriptive writing techniques - writing based on an image
* Spelling tests (differentiated)
* SPaG activities
* Teacher/peer/self assessment opportunities
NOTE 1: Mini exams use the UK grading system; this simply needs to be adapted to your own grading system.
NOTE 2: This unit contains a small section on 'Lamb to the Slaughter', taken from the full 'Lamb to the Slaughter' unit already available on TpT.
Thank you for taking an interest in my product! If you do decide to proceed to purchase, I'd really appreciate your rating and feedback. This will help me to adapt future products and edit existing ones so that they can really be the best they can be.
If you enjoy this product, please do check out my others and click 'Follow' to be the first to hear about new products, sales and promotions!