Are you looking for a fun and creative activity for students to complete near Valentine's Day that is still rigorous and meaningful? Look no further than Literary Love Letters! This engaging activity requires students to write a love letter to their favorite character, short story, novel, or author that explains why this person or piece of literature is their favorite or has impacted them. Students will LOVE that they get to express themselves in a creative writing assignment and speak to their favorite character, author, or piece of literature. Who wouldn't love the opportunity to profess their love for Hermione Granger, Tuck Everlasting, or Edgar Allan Poe? Teachers will LOVE that this activity require little to no prep because all instructional materials needed to complete the assignment are already created, including differentiated organizers. In addition, students will still be responsible for thinking critically while having fun!
☞ The following materials are included in this product:
• Literary Love Letters Cover Sheet: This cover sheet includes the writing topic and breakdown of each task for this assignment,
• Task #1: Pre-Writing Materials include the "Become a Writing Expert" Guide to help students break down the writing prompt and analyze STRONG and WEAK writing samples to determine success criteria as well as room to set their purpose using R.A.F.T. and brainstorm. In addition, there are three options for students to use when organizing their letter.
> Option A is a PEEL Four Square Writing Organizer that can be used to create a four paragraph letter instead of the traditional five paragraph letter. This is a great option for lower level students who may struggle with writing.
> Option B is a modified PEEL Writing Organizer that can be used to create a 5-6 paragraph letter. This is a great option for average to advanced students.
> Option C allows students or teachers to create their own organizer.
• Task #2: Rough Draft- Students will use their organizer as well as teacher model and criteria to create their rough draft. Pages with the writing topic has been included for students to write their rough drafts.
• Task #3: Self and Peer Assessment- There are two self-assessment options included: a color-coded editing checklist or a traditional checklist. In addition, there is a Peer Assessment Guide included to allow students to get academic feedback from a writing partner to help revise and strengthen their letter.
• Task #4: Final Draft- Students will use their feedback and self-assessment to help them revise their rough draft and then create their final draft. Pages with the writing topic has been included for students to write their rough drafts.
• Teacher Models: Teacher models for the writing organizer as well as a STRONG and WEAK writing sample have been included.
• Rubric:: A 16 point rubric that focuses on content, organization, style, and knowledge of language and conventions has been included.
• 39 slide PP Presentation with 20 EDITABLE slides: This presentation includes detailed slides to help guide both teachers and students through this lesson. In addition, there are blank and editable slides that you can use to help customize this presentation to better fit the needs of your students.
•••EDITABLE means that you can add a text box in PP to add your text and information to the slides. You cannot delete or move graphics/images-this is necessary to protect the intellectual property of clip artists and myself.)•••
Please download the product preview before purchasing so that you can see exactly what instructional materials are available in this product!
Created by Stephanie M. Icenogle, The Creative Classroom © 2017
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
23 Pages of Instructional Materials and 39 Presentation (20 EDITABLE slides)
Included with rubric