Literature Circles Unit
Literature Circles are a fun and engaging way for students to take ownership of their learning. Literature Circles encourage students to have rich conversation surrounding text. This is a great unit for reading instruction at the middle school level because you can use it several times throughout the year with chapter book sets that are available at your school based on units and themes that you already use.
This product includes:
• Eight attractive task cards that list the Common Core Standards addressed, provide an overview of the Literature Circle role, and explain the expectations for individual presentations during a literature circle
• An overview handout listing the eight different Literature Circle roles, the Depth of Knowledge terms associated with each role, and the Depth and Complexity Icons associated with each role
• Eight separate job sheets for students to use while preparing for Literature Circles using evidence from the text. The job sheets cover the roles of: Question Commander, Line Illuminator, Summary Sultan, Character Commentator, Illustrious Artist, Word Warlock, Uncanny Connector, and The Terminator
• Rubric for teachers or students to use while observing and evaluating Literature Circles
• A printable for a bookmark that lists all eight roles and offers a brief description of each role
• A recording sheet and calendar that easily allow students to keep track of the roles they have completed and their reading schedule
*This unit is intended for use with chapter books and might be too demanding for lower elementary.
A perfect compliment to this unit is my collection of over
18 different Reading Logs.
You might also enjoy my Vocabulary Visionary
Menu of activities. This is a wonderful menu of vocabulary activities that requires students to demonstrate a deep and creative understanding of their vocabulary words.
Connect with me at:
. . .Facebook
. . .Pinterest
. . .My Blog
. . .Instagram
Thanks so much for stopping by!