Everything you need to implement both fiction and nonfiction literature circles in grades K-2 is right here, from preparation at the beginning to extension activities at the end! This product contains four levels of job sheets so that even pre-readers and writers can participate!
Literature circles are a wonderful way to get our students excited and talking about books, all while engaging in critical thinking and reflection as they read (or are read to), respond to, and discuss books of their choice! This activity takes independent reading and comprehension to another level, incorporating the Common Core Standards of listening and speaking in small groups. Whether you are new to literature circles or experienced but in need of some new, fresh pages, this product is for you!
Please see the preview to get a better idea of what this resource contains!
Note that this resource makes use of fiction and nonfiction picture books (not included), and a group meets one time after reading a book. If you are looking for Literature Circles for grades 3-5, which makes use of chapter books and longer nonfiction picture books, with several group discussion meetings throughout the course of a book, click here to check out my Fiction and Nonfiction Literature Circles for Grades 3-5!
This product includes:
- Literature Circle Overview
- Instructions for How to Prepare: Behind the Scenes Preparation, Book Selection, Grouping
- How to Practice Literature Circles with Students
- Implementing Literature Circles
- Variations and Tips
- Printable Pages:
- Folder Cover
- Grouping Template
- Discussion Icons for Class Chart
- Job Assignment Cards/Necklaces
- Sample Parent Letter
- Level 1 Job Sheets: My Favorite Part, I Want to Share, I Liked/I Did Not Like, It Made Me Feel (half-sheet, drawing only, one-sided)
- Level 2 Job Sheets: Word Wizard, Creative Connector, Stupendous Summarizer, Discussion Director (half-sheet, mostly drawing/labeling, two-sided with the Inspiring Illustrator job on back-side for all students in the group to enjoy)
- Level 3 Job Sheets: same jobs as Level 2 (full-sheet, drawing and writing, two-sided with the Inspiring Illustrator job on back-side as well as a student self-evaluation)
- Level 4 Job Sheets: same jobs as Level 2 (full-sheet, mostly writing, two-sided with the Inspiring Illustrator job on back-side as well as a student self-evaluation and a teacher evaluation that is specific to each job)
- Other Discussion Prep Options
- 3 Different Extension Activities
If you have questions or ideas for how I can improve my products, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you like this product, please leave positive feedback in order to receive credit toward future purchases! Also consider following me on TpT!
Also check out these other resources:
Thank you and happy teaching!
© Erin Guge – All Rights Reserved
- You may not create anything to sell or share based on this product.
- This product is for one teacher use only. If others like the product, please send them to my TpT store.