This Doodle and Do resource is all about Literature Circles!
A literature circle is when a small group of students gather to discuss a piece of literature in depth. The discussion is guided by students’ responses to Literature Circle Role handouts. Each doodle-style handout will have students thinking critically about the text and of course, doodling to heighten their engagement and connection to their reading. The handouts are completed before the literature circle discussions. Then, during the literature circle, small groups gather and engage in critical thinking as they read, discuss and respond to texts together.
This collaborative and student-centered approach to reading is engaging and meaningful!
Benefits of Literature Circles
• Active Engagement – All students are actively involved in discussions.
• Differentiation – Literature circles benefit all ability levels. It easily occurs with the selection of texts, roles, and even groups.
• Flexible Scheduling – Literature circles can be done over a long period of time with a novel or a short period of time with a shorter text.
• Exposure to New Ideas – Students learn new perspectives and ideas from classmates while learning new ideas from the various texts that they are reading.
• Develop Critical Skills:
o Understanding elements of plot and character development
o Making inferences, predictions, and drawing conclusions about story elements
o Understanding and identifying specific literary devices
o Understanding how language conveys mood, images, and meaning
o Comprehending, interpreting, evaluating, and investigating texts
o Participating in reflective, creative, and insightful literary discussions
Literature Circle Roles
• This resource includes 9 different Doodle-style Literature Circle Roles: Setting Seeker, Savvy Summarizer, Proud Predictor, Vivid Visualizer, Clever Connector, Word Whiz, Discussion Director, Character Capturer, Passage Picker.
• The large variety of roles makes it easy to differentiate students’ learning, keep students engaged, and provide options for using different roles with different texts throughout the school year.
About Doodle Tasks
The Literature Circle Roles are all about engagement. That is accomplished with the doodle-style layout and doodle tasks on each worksheet.
• Students will color, doodle, and/or embellish their Literature Circle Role handout as they reflect on their reading.
• Doodling creates a connection between the right and left hemisphere of the brain. This leads to an increase in learning, focus, and retention of learning.
• The doodles on the Literature Circle Role sheets help students to connect images with information and significantly increases their ability to remember what they have learned, read, and synthesized.
This resource includes 2 grading options. Just select one to use in your classroom while students are participating in literature circle discussions.
- Discussion Cards
• A set of 12 reading task cards are included in this resource.
• You might prepare a set for each group in order to keep students engaged as they finish their literature circle discussions and other groups continue their discussions.
• When/if a group finishes “early,” simply give them a set of cards to prompt further discussion about their reading.
This detailed resource includes:
• Resource Overview (for teachers)
• Set-Up step-by-step instructions
• Ideas for selecting texts
• Review of the discussion cards, evaluation, and tips for implementing literature circles
• Literature Circle Rating sheets
• Discussion Expectations for small groups
• Grading Option 1
• Grading Option 2
• Literature Circle Debrief
• 9 Doodle-Style Literature Circle Roles
• 12 Reading Discussion Task Cards (to use with any text)
Other Doodle and Do Resources…
5 Reading Skills Mini-Units
5 Nonfiction Text Structure Mini-Units
How to Study for a Test
Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
Writing Responses with Text-Based Evidence
Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
Doodle Book Review
Or, you may also like…
Narrative Writing Unit
Figurative Language Unit
12 Writing Units Bundle
- Writing instruction for an entire year!
No Copy Emergency Sub Plans
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
Brain Waves Instruction