***Update: 5/31/2018 I've uploaded an 8-week unit that focuses on 8 parts of speech. The condensed unit is just an additional option for buyers - the year is also included in the zip file. The new folder includes expectations, 8 installments, projects, project rubrics, power points, prezis, etc. The new addition folder is labeled, "- Grammar Unit (8 Weeks)"
This is a required elective for sophomores designed to better prepare students for the ACT, the AIMS, and Senior Exit Project in the areas of grammar and literature. Students will study and apply principles of grammar and punctuation through the exploration of the English language with a greater focus on grammar and sentence structure in order to develop and improve their reading and writing skills. In addition, students will read modern and classical works of literature, discussing how these works have influenced society in order to promote reading and critical thinking skills.
- 1st Quarter = Grammar (8 parts of speech)
- 2nd Quarter = Literature (Catcher in the Rye)
- 3rd Quarter = Writing Unit (Exploratory/Sentence Formulas)
- 4th Quarter = Literature (Much Ado About Nothing/Monster)
Projects Included are as follows: Adjective/Adverb Challenge, Comma Drama/Conjunction Function Challenge, MadLib Project, and a Grammar PSA Project.
***I teach in a "beyond textbooks" school district (beyondtextbooks.org), so there are no books required. All materials used are based off of various resources that are run through Google Docs/PDF hyperlinks. Let me know if you need any permissions granted to access certain Google Docs. That being said, I should have made all links available for public viewing.
By the end of the school year, students should be able to:
- Understand and apply the basic concepts of English grammar and sentence structure
- Use the rules of grammar and punctuation to enhance academic writing
- Thoroughly analyze a work of literature
- Critically think about ideas within classic and modern literature
* Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.