Literature Stations with Task Cards: Motivate your students with STATION work centered on Common Core topics using ANY novel, story, or drama! You get TEN different stations with detailed task cards and inviting student handouts for each. Great for differentiation—you choose the stations that best fit the text and your students’ needs.
Use station work while reading a novel or drama (read half the period, move to stations for the other half or at the end of a chapter) or after reading a short story. Students enjoy movement and group work! These stations provide specific Common Core practice, engaging students in discussion and close reading.
The TEN STATION TOPICS with corresponding COMMON CORE STANDARDS are:
1. Figurative Language RL. 6.4, 7.4, 8.4
2. Determining Key Events RL 6.1, 7.1, 8.1
3. Development of Theme RL 6.2, 7.2, 8.2
4. Author’s Tone (and Connotation) RL 6.4, 7.4, 8.4
5. Making Inferences RL 6.1, 7.1, 8.1
6. Analyzing Dialogue RL 6.5, 7.6, 8.3
7. New Words RL 6.4, 7.4, 8.4
8. Author Study RI 6.1, 6.3, 7.1, 7.3, 8.1, 8.3
9. Setting RL 6.1. 7.1, 7.3, 8.1
10. Objective Summary RL 6.2, 7.2, 8.2
This product contains:
1. TASK CARDS – Ten colorful task cards, each clearly outlining the specific group task based on the Common Core topic. Students read the task card together when they assemble at the station.
2. STUDENT HANDOUTS (18 pages) – The handouts are creatively designed and align with the station task cards so students can get right into their activity and begin discussing and delving into the text.
3. SIGNS FOR EACH STATION – Ten colorful folding stand-up signs that match the task cards - set them at each station to guide students to their areas.
4. GRADING RUBRIC – A 4-point Grading Rubric is included for your convenience. The rubric describes qualities of student work on four levels with space for you to assign you own grade or number of points.
5. TEACHER GUIDELINES – Specific guidelines for implementing the station work provide suggestions and tips for getting the most out of this resource.
6. COMMON CORE STANDARDS - The Common Core Standards addressed in this resource are provided for your easy reference.
If you are looking to engage your middle school students with exciting group work when reading a novel, drama, or short story, and at the same time offer rigorous Common Core skills practice, you should definitely consider this resource. These stations can be used again and again with different literature!
Please download the PREVIEW.
You might also like:
Test Prep Stations for ELA Test Practice Grades 6 7 8
Figurative Language Stations - Common Core
Task Cards for Better Writing: BUNDLE
ELA Assessment and Test Review MINI-BOOK - Grades 6-7-8 Common Core
---Yes! Click to receive Teaching Tips and FREEBIES from Joy