The Literature for Learning Standards-Based Study Guide is based on the English/Language Arts national content standards of the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), the International Reading Association (IRA) and the National Common Core Standards. The goal of the study guide is to provide reading and writing experiences to help increase students’ reading interest as well as prepare students for standardized testing.
The Informational/Nonfiction Literature for Learning Standards-Based Study Guide is designed to provide background information to help frontload students on topics related to the novel in order to boost student understanding and engagement. The Informational/Nonfiction Text Study Guide includes passages and activities that provide practice answering text dependent questions based on the following Common Core standards:
• Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
• Determine the main idea of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.
• Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade level topic or subject area.
• Identify the overall structure (e.g., chronology, comparison, cause/effect, problem/solution) of events, ideas, concepts, or information of the text.
• Demonstrate the ability to locate an answer to a question in the text.
• Explain how an author uses reasons and evidence to support particular points in a text, identifying which reasons and evidence support which point(s).
• Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
• Determine a central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
• Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative, connotative, and technical meanings.
• Analyze how a particular sentence, paragraph, chapter, or section fits into the overall structure of a text and contributes to the development of the ideas.
• Determine an author’s point of view or purpose in a text and explain how it is conveyed in the text.