Have you been wanting to try a STEM activity in your room, but wish you could tie some daily review skills to the process? Then this is a product for you! Students solve challenges using math and reading skills. The challenges lead them to codes. Codes are written on building permits, which are traded in for supplies. Once all supplies are earned, the building can begin!
- 2-digit addition with regrouping
- ordering 2 & 3 digit numbers from least to greatest
- identifying numbers in expanded, number word, base ten blocks, and standard forms
- using data to create a bar graph
- reading a short letter and answering comprehension questions
How to Use:
Students are separated into four groups and are placed on a mission by a building contractor to create the longest braid to free Rapunzel from a tower. Each group will be given 4 challenges to solve in order to find codes that can be written on building permits, and exchanged for supplies. Once all supplies are received, groups must work together to construct the longest paper chain (braid) following the rules on the stem card. For a better understanding of how this works, be sure to download the preview file.
Here are the materials you will need for this project:
- 4 pairs of scissors (1 per bag)
- 4 glue-sticks (1 per bag)
- 4 pieces of yellow construction paper (1 per bag)
Search Terms: Fairy Tale STEM, break out, escape the classroom