Take a peek inside pioneer life with the first Little House book. A student website houses discussion questions, figurative language, visual dictionaries, and extensions to help children understand Laura Ingalls Wilder's life in the big woods. In addition, the teacher website houses links to printable or paperless (Google Drive) worksheets. This heartwarming novel is great for distance learning.
The website automatically formats for desktops, laptops, and Chromebooks; iPads and tablets; and even phones! However, to access it with school-issued Gmail accounts, your district administrator must have access to new Google Sites turned on.
What’s Included in the Student Website:
- Guiding Questions – A series of questions stimulates comprehension of the chapter.
- Figurative Language – Examples of figurative language from the chapter are displayed. Students discuss/ponder the phrase and identify the type of figurative language used. (A reference guide is included.)
- Vocabulary – Six to nine words from each chapter are housed in visual dictionaries. A photo illustrates the pioneer concept, and kids also see the definition and word in context.
- Extension Activities – Sixteen video links help students experience life in the big woods. Project ideas encourage further exploration of topics in each chapter.
- About the Author – A separate webpage provides links to biographical text, videos, and information on other books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
What's Included in the Teacher Website:
In addition to everything in the Little House student website, the teacher site includes links to 15 worksheets:
- Written Questions - One question for each chapter asks kids to write longer answers. Each page is available as a printable pdf or paperless Google Slide.
- Vocabulary Worksheet - A student response sheet is available for every chapter. Again, the pages are available in printable or paperless formats.
- Main Idea Graphic Organizer
- Venn Diagram
The product contains no hard copies. When you purchase the product, you will receive URLs for the websites. All worksheets must be downloaded from the website.
Enjoy teaching Little House in the Big Woods!
Would you like to know when I post more resources? Simply follow me on TpT.
I'm committed to continual improvement. This resource was revised and updated on March 25, 2019.