Put on a performance and watch your students shine! The Little Red Hen is a timeless story which leaves students with a wonderful message about sharing and caring. This package includes a Teacher’s Script, a unique song written just for this performance, Reader’s Theatre, Writing Prompt, Invitation, Playbill, Cast Party Sign Up Sheet and a Costume Reminder for parents.
Students benefit by learning theatre vocabulary, reading skills through re-reading of the reader’s theatre, enthusiasm for learning, voice projection, using their body as an actor’s tool, listening skills, teamwork, cooperation, and pride from sharing their hard work and efforts with parents and family members. We also always put on a dress rehearsal to work out the kinks with our grade level peers. One of the students’ favorite experiences is watching the video of themselves after the rehearsal and recognizing what their own strengths and needs are.
Integrating some of the suggestions below can transform The Little Red Hen from a simple story into a thematic unit in the classroom:
• Read multiple versions of the story.
• Chart the story elements: Title, character, setting, beginning, middle, end, big idea/author’s message.
• Discuss what student’s would do if they were the little red hen and then write about it.
• Write letters to story characters.
• Chart about friendship.
• Bake bread with the students (use a bread maker or make it from scratch!)
• Plant seeds.
• Study and read about the farm.
• Create a farm science center (add farm books, cotton, wool, eggshells, plastic farm animals, empty milk containers, birds nest, etc.)
• Sing songs about friendship.
*** Contents in this package include:
Little Red Hen Script for play
Little Red Hen Chant for play
Little Red Hen Reader's Theater
Teacher Guidance for Student Performance
Little Red Hen Writing Prompt
Little Red Hen Cast Party Sign Up Sheet
Little Red Hen Playbill -- Can be customized
Little Red Hen Invitation -- Can be customized
Little Red Hen Parent Reminders -- Can be customized