Guide your students to a deeper level of understanding of the short story, Little Things are Big by Jesus Colon. HEAR and READ the story at http://www.facinghistory.org/little-things-are-big-hear-read-story (Facing History and Ourselves, 2012). The story deals with the theme of prejudice.
This Common Core aligned lesson leads the students through a pre-reading activity that activates prior knowledge, a vocabulary study, a during-reading imagery activity, an analysis of conflict/solution, a post-reading response and analysis, and a thematic found poem activity.
The students will be able to:
- Analyze and define abstract vocabulary
- Visualize imagery
- Interpret the intent of the author
- Identify themes
- Utilize skills and vocabulary that are common in high-stakes exams
The design of the activity is scaffolded and includes graphic organizers for more effective use with English language learners (ESL / ELL / ELD).
This resource is also available in pdf format.
You may also want to check out the lesson, "Puerto Ricans in New York" by Charles Reznikoff - Poetry Literary Analysis, also dealing with the themes of prejudice and racism:
Common Core Anchor Standards:
2. Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
4. Interpret words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings, and analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone.
10. Read and comprehend complex literary and information texts independently and proficiently.
"Little Things are Big" by Jesus Colon - Literary Analysis Lesson
by Scott N. Forrest
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
Key Words: Short Stories, Poetry, literature, SDAIE, test prep, reading comprehension, guided reading, SDAIE, ELD, EFL, ESL, guided reading