- Google Apps™
- Compatible withActivities
Accompany the eye-opening documentary, Living on One Dollar A Day, with this print-and-go 4-activity kit that explores extreme world poverty around the world and specifically in the mountains of Guatemala. End with an empowering real-life project that allows your students to make real positive change.
This kit comes in both print PDF and digital for Google Slides.
Almost half of the world lives on $5.50 a day or less. At least 70% of all humans live on $10 or less. While those are shocking, the most extreme, $1 a day, is the reality for nearly 800 million people.
Greatness is recognizing and addressing the extreme income disparity that exists in the world.
Few American teenagers know the world beyond their own surroundings and many have no idea that the vast majority of fellow humans live in a world of abject poverty, unsanitary conditions, and limited means of opportunity.
Share with your students the powerful 1-hour film, Living on One Dollar A Day, as well a variety of photos of extreme poverty around the world and an in-depth overview of poverty in Guatemala, leading them towards answering this not-so-simple question: “What is it like to really live on $1 a day?”
You will set each of your students up for success in this high interest, multi-faceted 4-part activity kit, regardless of ability, with graphic organizers, high-interest images, background information, and an engaging project.
Empower your students to become globally aware and engaged citizens in this 2-3 day lesson series!
Included in this complete activity kit:
- Overview and detailed lesson plans
- Answer Key for documentary notes sheet
Student Materials - 4 Activities
- A Picture is Worth... to explore photos from the powerful book, Living on a Dollar a Day
- Guatemala's Story to learn an overview of the history and problems with extreme poverty in this Central American country
- Living on One Dollar documentary analysis note-taking sheet for the 1-hour film Living on One Dollar a Day
- Kiva Micro-Loan Project project to decide and nominate a person’s request for funds
- Digital File link to a Google Slides file with copies of all student sheets
Note: the film and book are easy to find online, either to stream for free or to purchase inexpensively. Links are provided.
Want to turn this into a larger unit?
World Poverty: a 3-week unit exploring the crushing strain of surviving on roughly $1 a day and the solutions that are easier than you'd think
Need a whole course?
Global Issues to Empower is a semester-long current events, human geography, and environmental science all-in-one course that will create global citizens out of your students
- World Population, Demographics, & Poverty PBL Unit: explore worldwide population numbers, extreme poverty, and demographics
- Growth, Globalization, & Natural Resources PBL Unit: explore the growth and shrinking of our global population, connectivity, and resources
- Sustainability & Consumption of Water, Energy, & Garbage PBL Unit: explore the ever-increasing water, fossil fuel, and garbage footprints
- Global Priorities Research Project: culminate learning with this capstone project that strengthens research, sourcing, and writing skills to turn your students into global citizens