- Make May count with this pack of fun and educational resources. Filled with 20 days of writing, reading, listening, and speaking practice, this bundle has everything you need for a month of instruction. This bundle includes:• Persuasive Writing Unit-- In just 10 days students will develop backgrou$24.71$27.46Save $2.75
- Make teaching summer school a breeze with this multi-unit journey-themed resource. Every ELA summer school lesson you'll need is included!Lead students through a six-week instructional journey as they investigate journeys in the form of a short story, speeches, poetry, historic journal entries, and$27.99$32.96Save $4.97
- Make the beginning of your school year as simple as possible with this bundle of six resources for the Middle School ELA classroom. Each resource is extremely detailed, engaging, and geared to middle school students. That means that you’re just a download away from having SIX straight weeks of in$39.99$45.94Save $5.95
- Lead students through a six-week instructional journey as they investigate journeys in the form of a short story, speeches, poetry, historic journal entries, and a personal reflection. Each unit combines rigor and engagement as students read, write, listen, and speak about incredible journeys. Whe$27.99$32.96Save $4.97
- Product Description
"Lob's Girl" Literature Study Unit
In this 8-day unit students will develop a deep understanding of Joan Aiken’s short story “Lob’s Girl” . Its tale of loyalty and friendship combined with mystery and suspense make it an incredibly engaging read. Students develop skills in understanding short story elements, mood development, theme, foreshadowing, vocabulary, dialect, and writing in this unit. Through whole class, small group, and independent work students not only stay actively engaged with their instruction, they also build crucial skills in reading, listening, and writing.
Common Core State Standards
- R.1, R.2, R.3, R.4, R.5, R.10
- W.1, W.4, W.10
- SL.1, L.4, L.6
In this unit, students will...
- Understand and appreciate short story elements: plot, setting, characters, theme
- Recognize cause and effect to help understand foreshadowing
- Build background information on Joan Aiken, Cornwall, England, and British English
- Build understanding of mood
- Develop understanding of dialect (British English)
- Increase vocabulary
- Make personal connections to text to increase comprehension
- Creatively write in response to the text
”Lob’s Girl” Unit Highlights:
- Pre-Reading Writing Prompt
- Reading Toolkit Graphic Organizers for Ongoing Comprehension Development
- Small Group Discussion Activity
- Making Predictions Graphic Organizer
- Foreshadowing Discussion Starters
- Hands-On Mood Analysis Lesson
- Small Group Vocabulary Sort
- Creative Writing Activity
Included in Student “Lob’s Girl” Packets:
- Building Background Information
- Connect to the Reading
- Dialect Graphic Organizer
- Plot Log
- Setting Chart
- Character Log
- Predictions Graphic Organizer and Writing
- Group Discussion Questions and Record Sheet
- Mood Analysis and Web
- Literary Analysis - Foreshadowing
- Theme Analysis
- Creative Writing Prompt and Pre-Write
Teacher and Instructional Resources for “Lob’s Girl” Unit:
- Vocabulary Sort Activity
- Mood Analysis Activity
- Unit Overview
- Detailed Lesson Plans (8)
- Final Assessment (Multiple choice, matching, and short answer test)
- ALL Instructional and Assessment Keys
This unit is part of a Six-Week Incredible Journeys Multi-Unit Bundle Project. In this project students study a short story about a dog’s journey to his owner, investigate Lewis and Clark’s journal entries, analyze speeches about journeys, research explorers, write speeches about incredible journeys, analyze journey poems, write poetry and reflect on their personal journey while actively meeting 38 Common Core State Standards.
Find out all about the Incredible Journeys Multi-Unit Bundle Here!
You may also like…
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction
FYI - Due to copyright regulations, the text for “Lob’s Girl” is not included in this unit. However, you can easily get a copy of the story by searching for a pdf of “Lob’s Girl” on the internet.