This lesson helps students see the five basic loci using a google map of Long Beach, NY. Major landmarks like local restaurants, streets, and other businesses are used to give students fixed locations to draw each locus.
The five basic loci are...
1. a fixed distance from a point
2. a fixed distance from a line
3. equidistant from two points
4. equidistant from two parallel lines
5. equidistant from two intersecting lines
The kids were really able to visualize what a locus looked like after using this activity.