Logos, Pathos, Ethos
This teaching pack includes:
- 14 slides that explain the 3 appeals with examples and ideas students can relate to.
► Listing of 3 short commercials
on the same topic to familiarize students with the difference among the 3 appeals.
► Categorizing handout
- students cut and categorize the examples into logos, pathos, ethos. Answer Key.
► Application task
- Students listen to a speech record examples of the 3 types of appeals. You can find the speech on Youtube
called "Ashton Kutcher Speech on Human Trafficking Before Congress" if you want to listen to it before you purchase this lesson plan. (Kutcher does an excellent job of discussing software his company invented to help thwart trafficking efforts, and he includes all 3 types of appeals.) Answer Key
► Speech writing task
to employ all 3 types of appeals. Includes a brainstorm handout
to scaffold this task.
• Patrick Henry "Speech to the Virginia Convention"
• "37 Who Saw Murder Didn't Call the Police" by Martin Gansberg
• "Speech to the Troops at Tilbury" by Queen Elizabeth I - Rhetorical Analysis
• Advanced English Bell Ringers - Entire Semester
• Connotation and Denotation
• Impromptu Speeches - Ad Lib High School Fun
• Rhetorical Devices