My 8th grade Accelerated Spanish students loved reading Lola Lago by Lourdes Miquel Lopez and Neus Sans, but I did not want this to be teacher-led.. My students are very familiar with book circles, so I decided to go that route. I assigned a day to read the specified chapters, then a day to come together and complete the book circle to be sure that everyone comprehended the chapters. The unit lasted 12 school days, with one for distributing and introducing the book and one for the assessment. My students are 1:1 so groups collaborated using shared Google Docs and took exit slips on Socrative.com.
This zip file contains the following documents:
1) An editable Book Circle Excel template, that can easily be uploaded to Google Drive for easy class sharing. There were tabs for the schedule, leader's agenda, vocabulary, characters, summary, predictions, and comprehension questions.
2) An editable document detailing the Roles of the Book Circle - vocab/characters, summary, predictions, and comprehension questions.
3) An editable document of Rules and Information on the Book Circle format.
4) An edible PPT with additional comprehension questions, and answers, to show on a screen so students can answer these if they finish their book circle early.
5) Two editable Microsoft Word documents listing the same comprehension questions, and comprehension answers as the PPT
6) 5 total editable Microsoft Word Documents for true/false style questions as exit slips broken down by chapter. Answer keys are also provided.
7) 5 exit slips in a Socrative template. These documents are easily uploaded to socrative.com. This website allows students to work at a teacher-led pace, or student-led pace, and will grade the answers for you. You can download a chart in order to save the results. This has been such as time saver!
8) An editable Lola Lago final Quiz, and answer key.
(24 files total)
Lola Lago Literature/Book Circle
by Jennifer Noonan
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License