Use these Common Core aligned word work activities to help students practice identifying, writing, and categorizing long a vowel words. This packet focuses on a-e, -ai, -ay, and -ei sounds for the long a vowel.
This packet is part of a larger bundle of word work for long vowels, which can be found here: Long Vowel A, E, I, O, and U Word Work Bundle!
The Space Skater loves to skate. He loves to skate so much that he will skate anywhere, including in your classroom! The Space Skater leaves a mess wherever he goes, so Chase will need your help cleaning it up!
This lesson is aligned to the following CCSS for ELA:
- RF.1.2a: Distinguish long from short vowel sounds in spoken single-syllable words.
- RF.1.3c: Know final -e and common vowel team conventions for representing long vowel sounds.
- RF.2.3a: Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
- RF.2.3c: Decode regularly spelled two-syllable words with long vowels.
8.5" x 11" (letter)
- 1 long a example chart
- 4 small center table top signs (approx. 3.75” x 1.5” folded)
- 4 Word Work Activities:
1. Space Sort:
Long a & short a word sort with worksheet and sorting chart.
2. Scrambled A’s:
Long a jumble worksheet for students to unscramble.
3. An Eye for an A:
Fill in the missing letters and then sort a-e, ai, ay, and ei worksheet.
4. Color it!
Long a color-by-vowel coloring sheet
- Answer key for all 4 activities
Ideas for Use:
- Introduce Chase, The Space Skater, and the long a vowel by using
the long a example chart (p. 4) and “Introducing...” paragraph (p. 5).
- Use the 4 activities as word work during your ELA block.
- Use some or all of the 4 activities during literacy centers.
Other word work in this series:
Long E: Zeek and The Slippery Sneak!
Long I: Levi and The Shy Spy!
Long O: Cleo and The Hiccuping Hero!
Long U: Ruth and The Silly Sleuth!
Clip art from: www.mycutegraphics.com and www.openclipart.org