This is a fun go-fish style game that goes along with teaching students about the long and short vowel sounds. Because all of the vowels(a, e, i, o, u) are used in this game, it would be ideal for a review activity or center.
This game is included in my money saving 6 game long and short vowel bundle
Teacher prep needed:
-Print out all pages, which includes game boards, playing cards, and the game mat. For added durability print on card stock, and laminate.
This game includes:
- Student direction sheet
- Game mat
- 120 game cards (24 cards for each vowel- 12 for the short vowel, and 12 for the long vowel).
- Recording sheet
How The Game Is Played:
This game is designed for 2-4 players, and is a version of “go fish”.
1. Shuffle all the cards, then deal out each person 5 cards, also give each player a sorting mat. Place the remaining cards in a pile in the middle of the game.
2. Players check their hands for matching vowels sounds. For example, the words kit, and pig have the short I sound, so they are a match. The player then tells the other players that they have a match, they show them the cards, and say what vowel it uses, as well as the two words. (Exe. “ I have a match, these are the cards, the words are kit, and pig and they both have short I”).
3. Next, place the matches on the correct spot on their own sorting mat.
4. Player 1 tries to make a pair by asking another player if he or she has a card whose vowel matches a Card in Player 1’s hand. For example, “Do you have a card with the short A vowel which makes the sound ‘ahh’?”
5. If Player 1 receives a matching Card, he or she reads the words, repeats the vowel and sound it makes, and places the pair in the correct box on the mat. If Player 2 does not have a match, he or she says, “Go Pick An Apple!” and player 1 draws a card from the deck. If they make a match, they can play it, if not, it’s the next players turn.
6. Player 2 takes a turn. Continue until all the cards are matched.
Whoever has the most cards, wins!
Not only do you get the game, but I have also included a word sort that will help teach this spelling pattern. There is a picture version, and a word version (all the pictures, and words are used in the game too!).
Also check out my other long/short vowel games:
- Long and short A game
- Long and short E game
- Long and short I game
- Long and short O game
- Long and short U game
Enjoy! And thank you SO much for stopping by my TPT store
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases