Are your students practicing the algorithm for long division? Are they struggling with all the steps involved because the concept is abstract to them? They may need practice in the act of actually physically dividing a large amount into smaller, equal groups. This activity works well following the "Estimating Long Division Task Cards" and "Long Division Level 2 Task Cards" learning centers in terms of increasing difficulty, however if your students are comfortable with multistep directions it is designed to be a complete activity on its own.
This product also differs from my Level 2 Task Cards activity because the numbers students are dividing require an additional step when regrouping.
This product uses tens and ones in division problems to ensure that the kids follow procedure instead of relying on their knowledge of turn around facts. This activity worked well for me as a way to model for students when teaching the long division algorithm, as well as reinforcement for small groups to use when practicing long division.
You will need:
* Play money. For a group of 6 students, you will need about 150 ten dollar bills and 120 one dollar bills. You could also do this activity with tens rods or tens place value discs that come with Math in Focus (TM). I feature dollar bills since I believe students can relate to real world applications of division with money.
* 40 small containers. I use small trays, but you can use paper plates, cups, or even half sheets of paper to represent an area to place the bills.
* Cut each page in half to create separate cards. The two halves of the first page (the sample card with directions) should be attached by staple, or laminated front to back.
* Laminate all the cards (optional).
* Model the process as outlined on the Sample Card. When dividing up the $113, distribute them as if you are dealing cards.
* Model writing the answer to the problem above the answer.
***Are you looking for more division products? Check out these popular activities
★Long Division with Remainders Matching Game
★Long Division Task Cards for Breaking Down Numbers
★Long Division Games Bundle
★ Long Division Task Card Centers Bundle
THIS PRODUCT IS INCLUDED IN THIS BUNDLE.