This pack includes 12 different activities for students to practice the Long I vowel teams. Below is a description of each activities.
Check out the file preview here:
• Whole class introduction cards – This activity allows your class to practice tapping out different pictures with the ie, igh, and y spelling pattern. You can then show them the word and sort it in pocket chart while matching the picture card to it. Vowel teams are in red so they stand out to students.
• Student sorting cards – Students can place the ai and ay headings in a pocket chart or on the floor. Then, they can pull the picture/word cards and sort them according to their vowel team.
Memory match – These cards can be used for memory match games. Students could also match the word cards to the picture cards in a pocket chart.
• Picture sort – For this activity students pull picture cards, tap them out and place them on the correct sorting mat. Then they use the recording sheet to spell these words correctly.
• Vowel team graphing – Each vowel team includes 3 cards of the same picture. Place pictures in a bag. Have students pull a card then spell the word in that column. First one to the top wins.
• Word sort – Similar to the picture sort and student sorting cards, students will read words with the ai and ay vowel team. Then they will place them under the correct vowel team heading.
• Bump – Students use a paperclip for the spinner. Whatever vowel team they land on, they get to cover a word with that vowel team on it with a cube. They can bump a player if that player only has one cube on the word. A player can “lock” in their cubes by placing a second cube on top. This will save them from being bumped. The player with the most cubes on the board at the end of the game wins.
• Write the room – Teacher places numbered picture cards around the room or on student desks. Students walk around the room and record the word correctly on their recording sheet.
• Spelling it out – Students place picture cards in a pocket card or in the row on the ground. Then they use the letter and vowel team squares to spell the word correctly.
• I have… Who has… – Teacher passes out cards to students in a whole group. They go around reading their cards until everyone as gone. These cards only contain words no pictures.
• Scrambled sentences – Students sort the cards to match their color/pattern. Then they will use each color to make a complete sentence that makes sense.
• Which word write the room – Task cards with fill in the blank sentences. Students must choose the word with the correct vowel team.
• Tiny words – Give students a magnifying glass to find the words on the sheet.