Use these Common Core aligned word work activities to help students practice identifying, writing, and categorizing long u vowel words. This packet focuses on u-e, -ew, -u, and -ue sounds for the long u vowel.
This packet is part of a larger bundle of word work for long vowels, which can be found here: Long Vowel A, E, I, O, and U Word Work Bundle!
The Silly Sleuth loves to play jokes on students, so beware if he enters your classroom! The Silly Sleuth knows all the detective tricks, so Ruth will need your help in sorting out all of his practical jokes!
This lesson is aligned to the following CCSS for ELA:
- RF.1.2a: Distinguish long from short vowel sounds in spoken single-syllable words.
- RF.1.3c: Know final -e and common vowel team conventions for representing long vowel sounds.
- RF.2.3a: Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
- RF.2.3c: Decode regularly spelled two-syllable words with long vowels.
8.5" x 11" (letter)
- 1 long u example chart
- 4 small center table top signs (approx. 3.75” x 1.5” folded)
- 4 Word Work Activities:
1. Silly Sort:
Long u & short u word sort with worksheet and sorting chart.
2. Scrambled U’s:
Long u jumble worksheet for students to unscramble.
3. An Eye for a U:
Fill in the missing letters and then sort u-e, ew, u, and ue worksheet.
4. Color it!
Long u color-by-vowel coloring sheet
- Answer key for all 4 activities
Ideas for Use:
- Introduce Ruth, The Silly Sleuth, and the long u vowel by using
the long u example chart (p. 4) and “Introducing...” paragraph (p. 5).
- Use the 4 activities as word work during your ELA block.
- Use some or all of the 4 activities during literacy centers.
Other word work in this series:
Word work in this series is also sold individually:
Long A: Chase and The Skater from Space!
Long E: Zeek and The Slippery Sneak!
Long I: Levi and The Shy Spy!
Long O: Cleo and The Hiccuping Hero!
Clip art from: www.mycutegraphics.com and www.openclipart.org