Also included in
- Everything you need for fun and engaging phonics activities in one MEGA Bundle! This bundle of phonics worksheets and phonics activities is filled with everything you need to engage your students in fun phonics practice all year long. Your students will love the fun phonics games and activities and$93.50$187.00Save $93.50
- There's nothing like a fun game to engage your students in learning. These Phonics Cootie Catchers and Phonics Fortune Tellers are a great way to get your students reviewing important phonics skills. Not only do kids love creating these hand-held games, but these folded paper activities will have th$25.20$36.00Save $10.80
Help your students master long vowel sounds while having fun reading and spelling words with long vowels with these Cootie Catchers & Fortune Tellers for Long Vowels. Combining fun and games with practice and learning is a win-win situation. That’s why I love to use literacy cootie catchers, sometimes called chatterboxes or fortune tellers, in my classroom. These folded papers are a favorite with kids—and a great way to practice a number of skills, including blending and segmenting sounds.
See the long vowel cootie catchers in action by watching the video preview above!
This set of long vowel sound fortune tellers includes 26 different games covering words with 37 different long vowel spelling patterns. Your students will LOVE working on their phonics skills with these fun long vowel activities.
Cootie Catchers & Fortune Tellers for Long Vowel Sounds includes:
- Cootie Catchers for 8 sets of words and sounds (includes black & white and color options)
- Total of 26 Ready to Use Cootie Catchers
- Word Overview Sheet
- Instructions for Assembly
- Instructions for Use
The sounds highlighted in this pack include:
- Set 1: Sound /ae/, Spellings: ay, ea, a-e, ai, a, eigh, ei
- Set 2: Sound /ee/, Spellings: e, ea, y, ee, ey, ie
- Set 3: Sound /oe/, Spellings: o, oa, ow, o-e, oe
- Set 4: Sound /er/, Spellings: er, ir, or, ur, ear
- Set 5: Sound /e/, Spellings: e, ea
- Set 6: Sound /ow/, Spellings: ou, ow
- Set 7: Sound /oo/, Spellings: oo, ew, ue, u-e, ui
- Set 8: Sound /ie/, Spellings: i, ie, y, i-e, igh
Use Long Vowel Cootie Catchers for:
- Independent practice in class - Follow the same steps shown in the video above, but the student makes their own choices, works the cootie catcher, and writes down their results.
- Small group work - Students can work around the group, with one student working the cootie catcher and others taking turns making choices and recording words. Students can pass the cootie catcher around and continue taking turns.
- Literacy station or Literacy Center - Once students know how to use cootie catchers, you can use them at a literacy station as individual or partner work. Students often think of cootie catchers as games not work, so they can make a good “choice” activity.
- Home practice and consolidation - Give students a cootie catcher and a worksheet set up with spaces to record their answers for home practice and consolidation of skills.
What Teachers Have Said:
- “LOVE LOVE LOVE these! What kids don't love a cootie! My kids are wanting to play with their words all the time!”
- “These have made learning and reviewing sounds fun for the students.”
- “Super cute and my students are loving using them. Very creative idea.”
- “This is an awesome product! The directions are very clear and I think my students will love being able to "play" during phonics. :) Thank you!”
- “My students love these and they don't even know they are practicing spelling.”
Please see the preview images and video above for a detailed view of the long vowel sound cootie catchers.
You might also be interested in:
- Phonics Homework to Last the Whole Year
- Phonics Cootie Catchers Bundle
- The Ultimate Digraph Activities Bundle
- Spin a Word Phonics Games Bundle
Remember, leaving feedback earns you points toward FREE TPT purchases.