Use these Common Core aligned word work activities to help students practice identifying, writing, and categorizing long a, e, i, o, and u words.
This is a bundle of long vowel word work packets that are also sold individually in my store. By buying the bundle, you get each packet for 20% off
, and you receive a BONUS pack of 5 free blank bingo templates. See below for links to my individual word work packets.
There are 5 packets total: one for each a, e, i, o, and u vowel:
1. Chase and The Skater from Space!
2. Zeek and The Slippery Sneak!
3. Levi and The Shy Spy!
4. Cleo and The Hiccuping Hero!
5. Ruth and The Silly Sleuth!
BONUS! 5 blank long vowel bingo templates (one for each vowel – offered only through this bundle pack!)
These activities are aligned to the following CCSS for ELA:
- RF.1.2a: Distinguish long from short vowel sounds in spoken single-syllable words.
- RF.1.3c: Know final -e and common vowel team conventions for representing long vowel sounds.
- RF.2.3a: Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
- RF.2.3c: Decode regularly spelled two-syllable words with long vowels.
Zipped folder containing 6 PDFs
8.5" x 11" (letter)*
*blank bingo templates are landscape orientation (11” x 8.5”)
EACH VOWEL PACKET INCLUDES:
- 1 long vowel example chart
- 4 small center table top signs (approx. 3.75” x 1.5” folded)
- VOWEL SORT:
Long & short vowel word sort
- long and short vowel word worksheet
- long and short vowel sorting chart
- SCRAMBLED VOWELs:
Long vowel jumble worksheet
- AN EYE FOR A VOWEL:
Categorizing vowel letter combinations
- COLOR IT!
Long vowel color-by-vowel coloring sheet
- Answer key for all 4 activities
Ideas for Use:
- Introduce the characters and the long vowel by using the long vowel example charts (p. 4) and “Introducing...” paragraphs (p. 5) in each packet.
- Use the 4 activities in each packet as word work during your ELA block.
- Use some or all of the 4 activities in each packet during literacy centers.
Word work in this series is also sold individually:
Long A: Chase and The Skater from Space!
Long E: Zeek and The Slippery Sneak!
Long I: Levi and The Shy Spy!
Long O: Cleo and The Hiccuping Hero!
Long U: Ruth and The Silly Sleuth!
Clip art from: www.mycutegraphics.com and www.openclipart.org