Also included in
- Includes TpT Digital version for Google Classroom remote learning.Integrate STEM in your classroom during Black History Month with these Read Aloud STEM Challenges! Create a space capsule to bring Apollo astronauts back to earth safely with Katherine Johnson, build an air powered rocket shuttle to l$12.00$18.00Save $6.00
- Integrate STEM and Literacy in your classroom all year with READ ALOUD STEM Volume One! Everything you need to be the Master STEM Teacher at your school! Awaken imagination and creativity all year. Students learn coding, engineering, explore real world problems, learn about STEM role models, pioneer$100.00$158.00Save $58.00
Includes both PDF and Easel Activity for Google Classroom Distance Learning and in-person classroom instruction.
Engage Students with a Lonnie Johnson Invention STEM Challenge!
Whoosh STEM Challenge is a fun and unique way to engage your students during Black History Month. In this STEM Activity, students are challenged to create their own invention to solve a real world problem.
Students begin the activity by reading about inventor Lonnie Johnson and answering questions. We included our own reading passage, and you can also use Whoosh! by Chris Barton
After learning about Lonnie Johnson, students design, build, and test their own invention prototype. After they have completed their activity, there is time for reflection on what worked and what didn't. A writing activity allows students to write about how to market their prototype.
Aligns with NGSS(Next Gen Science Standards) and Common Core.
- cardboard (ex. paper towel rolls or cereal boxes)
- construction paper
- pipe cleaners
- popsicle sticks
- plastic cups
- Whoosh! by Chris Barton (Recommended)
- Teacher Instructions
- Student STEM Journal
- Student Instructions
- Student Planning Pages
- Student Reflection Sheet
- Reading Passage and Questions
- Writing Activity
- NGSS and Common Core Standards
- TpT Digital Version for Distance Learning with Google Classroom
To use Easel for Distance Learning, select "Open in Easel" on this listing.